Monday, August 3, 2009

Twilight - The Movie - Not Half Bad

So I did it. Saturday night I watched Twilight. I'll be honest I hated the books. I read books 1 and 4 and briefly skimmed 2 and 3 so that I could talk to my sisters and sister in law about them. They were all mega fans along with a large portion of teenage girls and LDS woman. It was torture. I told my husband I would trade one sex scene I could skip over to the pages and pages of lovey dove longing. I also thought the books were dangerous. I chat with the young girls :) Little E went to preschool at a high school and I made friends with some of the girls there. Our favorite became his babysitter and from her I got the 411 on what was going on with the under 18 crowd. Even in this age group some of the girls are in physically abusive relationships. WHY? I don't get it. Why not just leave? Some girls seem to feel the need to stay in a dangerous place. I think Meyers just romanticizes the idea. ANYWAY regardless I saw the movie at the library and decided to check it out. At 11 o'clock while I was folding clothes and Dr. J was passed out on the couch I started it. Dr. J woke up and asked what I was watching. I told him Twilight and asked if he cared to join me. He reluctantly agreed. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It wouldn't win any awards for me and I still had the same problems I had with the books (too much mush time, my mom said if you watched the deleted scenes it was worse and too much pushing the idea that dangerous is sexy) but overall it wasn't half bad. The acting was decent and I liked the way the characters looked believable. The high school kids looked like they were in high school. The gorgeous people were realistically gorgeous. It was entertaining. My only new complaint is they should have gotten the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon people to help with the running up the mountain scene, that was sort of cheezy. If you liked the books you will love the movie and if you didn't like the books you still might like the movie. Even Dr. J said it was OK. High words of praise from a man who hates all things teenage romance :)

No comments: