Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Frozen Waffles


I love waffles. For years I would borrow my friend Jessica's waffle maker when I got a hanker for waffles. I contemplated shelling out the money for my own but all I could find at Walmart was the cheap little square maker. Then one day at a garage sale I struck pay dirt. For fifty cents I got a nice little Belgium Waffle Maker. Still waffles were a rare occurrence in our house. I need a Saturday or a Sunday with a little bit of time. There was no way we could have them on a school day. Then one day I was at my friend Erika's and she was making dozens of waffles. I asked her what she was going to do with all of them since the kids had already had breakfast. She said she was going to freeze them. Eurkea! Now when I make waffles I make sure to double the batche. I let the extras sit out on a plate until they have cooled. Then I place them in a galloon sized freezer bag and throw them in the feezer. When big E wants waffles on a school day I pull one out, pop it in the toaster oven for a toast and in less than a minute it is ready to butter and syrup! It is cheaper than buying Eggo's, lacks all the preservatives, and if you want you can make whole wheat waffles.

1 comment:

michelle said...

I didn't know you were looking for a frozen waffle iron. I just gave ours away with the move. We had two.