Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Blindside

I was watching So You Think You Can Dance (an incredibly embarrassing addiction I have) and noticed a movie preview for The Blindside: Evolution of the Game. I'm not sure how the movie will go, I'm just not a Sandra Bullock fan, but I think the book is excellent, a great read! It is my favorite kind of non-fiction, a great story with interesting dinner conversation facts. The story describes Michael Oher a homeless African-American high school student who is adopted by a white upper middle class family the Tuohys. Michael Oher was a survivor. He was blessed by God with incredible athletic talent and survival instincts but without love, supervision, and support his life was heading nowhere fast. The Tuohy family was blessed with financial security, love, and grace. They saw Michael and instinctively reached out, in the process joining him to their family. If you're curious about his story there is a good video clip here. In between Oher's story is the story of the evolution of the leftside tackle, the position Michael plays, and how it became so important that it's pay grade is second highest, only beat out by the quarter back position. I think this book is definitely worth checking out. I wonder what the world would be like if every forgotten child could find their way into the arms of a family like the Tuohy family.

No comments: