Friday, September 26, 2008

The Gym

In less then a week I will find myself the sole parental caretaker in the house for over a month. In anticipation of my soon burden I've lightened the load by joining a gym that has in house babysitting. For 45 dollars a month I get 90 minutes a day of glorious uninterrupted free time. So far I've taken four Zumba Classes, run 12 miles, and taken six alone showers. I never thought I'd be one to enjoy "group fitness" but running on the treadmill all alone three times a week was starting to get old. I never thought I'd be the kind of person who would like showering in a locker room but two kids that can strip themselves and get over the edge of the tub have mad alone showers a true luxury.

The Cons:
It cost almost 50 bucks a month.
I have to drive there.
Some of the woman do their hair standing in front of the full length mirrors in just panties.

The Pros:
I shower alone.
There is a hot tub and sauna in the ladies dressing room.
I get 90 minutes a day to exercise/get ready that doesn't cut into Jason's schooling.
There are crazy fitness classes that take the edge off just running.
I can work out at eight instead of having to leave at six.
I meet lots of fun moms who are just trying to fit exercise into their lives.

In my opinion it is definitely worth learning to keep your eyes focused about five feet up :)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I've been considering doing the same thing. Maybe you'll tip the scales (pun intended) toward going to the gym. Right now the wii is fun (and is working), but it's hard to keep Nathan off the balance board or out from under my feet.

Jackie said...

Sounds great! I think my problem is just getting someplace to work out... The Wii Fit is great for me but it sure would be nice to have someone take your kids for a while.

Bridget said...

That is such a good idea. What a great motivation, too!

jennybhill said...

Good for you. I'd been impressed at all your running, but I can see how it gets old on a treadmill. I've never been a runner, but I am feeling so restless (and big) right now that training for a marathon sounds heavenly. Weird, huh? The baby will come soon and the feeling will move on, I am sure.