Thursday, May 8, 2008

Posole


We went to a Cinco De Mayo party this week and I decided to take Posole, a dish that my fabulous Aunt Salina makes for most of our family get togethers (especially around Christmas). I slow cooked 1/2 a pork roast, three tablespoons chili powder, chopped onions and garlic, and a huge can of hominy for two hours. Then I chopped up the pork into little cubes. Finally I chopped cilantro and limes and brought shredded lettuce. I don't know how it went over. A friend of mine called me over and said, "So this is the only thing here that taste authentic Mexican. Is it?" His wife said, "He is trying to pay you a compliment if you can't tell in that muddled sentence" :) Haha. Anyway the thing I think is the saddest is that I didn't properly explain the dish so most people just ate the soup plain but the thing is that it is the extras that really make posole good. The cabbage really gives it a great crunchy texture, and the cilantro and lime a great flavor. Thanks Aunt Salina for giving me a taste for this :)

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Ok so I totally missed all the toppings on the soup but is was fabulous even without! I am so glad you posted this. Now the only thing that could make my day better is to watch an Office episode...

Sami said...

Good job on making the pozole! It looks good! I've never made it myself, but that's probably because my mom's always been here to make it for us. :) I need to learn though.

Jason said...

I have got to be honest, it just seems wrong to call pozole soup even though I guess that is what it is in English.